Apply - can be early as July 1st before your senior year
- Apply Texas for most Texas schools - https://www.applytexas.org
- Common Application for most out of state schools - https://www.commonapp.org/
- Look online for the school you choose, they may have their own application.
- Dont forget to check deadlines.
- FHS counselors assist with this task in September of senior year.
National Standardized Testing
- Students who qualify for free or reduced lunch qualify for 2 fee waivers for each of the following test. Students can see a counselor for assistance with waiver or signing up. Both test are given at FHS in the Fall and Spring.
- ACT - measures a student's skils in five core areas: English, math, reading, science, and writing (optional)
- SAT - test students in areas of reading, writing and languge, 2 math sections, and essay (optinal)
How to pay for trade school, colleges, and universities
- FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid
- Create a FAFSA Pin ID: https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/index.htm
- Student will need a pin ID
- 1 parent or guardian will need a pin ID
- FHS counselors asssit with this task in September of senior year.
- FAFSA opens October 1st of student's senior year. Use taxes from 2 years ago. Example: 2020 Graduate - 2 years = 2018 income tax data from parent and student (if they have one).
- FHS counselors and college advisor will host a parent night to assist in October of senior year.
- Look and apply for scholarships.Can start searching at anytime or grade level. Students can create profiles within a search engine, which then applies filters and emails potiental scholarships. Never pay for a scholarship.
Shot requiremet for college
- Meningococcal vaccination
- Shot expires after 5 years. Student will need to check their records or with the nurse if not sure of last date.
- FHS counselors can assist with uploading documents.
TSI - Texas Success Initiative
- Consists of there separate exams: mathmatics, reading, and writing.
- Determines the appropriate level of college course work for a college or university bound student.
- Check with your school, each may have a different standard or requirement.
- FHS offers it several times a year. Free the first time and retakes are $10 a section or $30 for all.
- FHS counselors give the test numberous times of the year.
- To prepare or practice:
- Students school check the FHS handbook for further details on how many days are allowed per school year.
- Students submit a confirmation of intended visit before going to FHS attendance office.
- Upon returning to FHS, students them submit a note from the college visit and a parent to attendance office.
After narrowing down and accepting your dream school
- Housing and deposit - check for dealines.
- New Student Orientation - check for dates and time to meet with advisors
- Secure financial aid and make payment arrangements.