- Welcome to my UIL Social Studies page. This year's Texas UIL Social Studies topic is "In the Shadow of the Red Bear: Russia and the former Soviet Union"
- The primary reading material is Lenin’s Tomb: The Last Days of the Soviet Empire, by David Remnick Vintage Books; (1994) ISBN# 978-0679751250. This paperback book can be purchased online for only about $5.00 since it was published in the 90s.
- In addition to reading and really studying Lenin's Tomb, students are expected to become familiar with the nations that composed the Soviet Union: • Armenia • Azerbaijan • Belarus • Estonia • Georgia • Kazakhstan • Kyrgyzstan • Latvia • Lithuania • Moldova • Russia • Tajikistan • Turkmenistan • Ukraine • Uzbekistan
- To be competitive and win at the district level and represent FHS well at our Regional Meet in April, students need to also know the following people and terms very well:
Valdas Adamkus Ilham Aliyev Yuri Andropov Almazbek Atambayev Lavrentii Beria Leonid Brezhnev Nikolai Bukharin Konstantin Chernenko Viktor Chernomydrin Fedor Dostoevskii Alexander Dubcek Yuri Gagarin Yegor Gaidar
Mikhail Gorbachev Raisa Gorbachev Maxim Gorky Islam A. Karimov Mikhail Khodorkovsky Nikita Khrushchev
Sergei Kirov Lavr Kornilov Aleksei Kosygin Vladimir Kruchov Vladimir Lenin Egor Ligachev
Alexander Litvinenko Alyaksandr Lukashenka Georgii Malenkov Giorgi Margvelashvili Aslan Maskhadov
Viacheslav Molotov Vladimir Nabokov Nursultan A. Nazarbayev Boris Nemtsov Saparmurat Niyazov
George Orwell Boris Pasternak Petro Poroshenko Boris Pugo Alexander Pushkin Vladimir Putin
Imomali Rakhmonov Aleksei Rykov Nikolai Ryzhkov Serzh Sarkisyan Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn Josef Stalin
Petr Stolypin Laimdota Straujuma Leon Trotsky Vladimir Voronin Lech Walesa Aleksandr Yakovlev
Gennadii Yanaev Viktor Yanukovich Boris Yeltsin Andrei Zhdanov Grigorii Zinoviev
Afghanistan (Soviet invasion of) Agitprop Anti-cosmopolitanism campaign Anti-semitism August coup (1991) Apparatchik Baltic Republics Basmachi Rebellion Berlin Wall Bolshevik Party Bourgeoisie Treaty of Brest-Litovsk Chechen War Cyrillic Second Chechen War Chernobyl Cold War Collectivization Comintern Commissar Communism Communist Manifesto Communist Party Comrade Congress of People’s Deputies Coup d’etat Cossacks Crimea
Cuban Missile Crisis Czar bomb Soviet Constitution Crimean Tartars Dacha Defect De-Stalinization
Dissent/Dissenter Doctor’s plot Doctor Zhivago Duma Five-year plans “Former people” General secretary
Genoa Conference Glasnost Gorky Park Great Patriotic War Gulag Hungarian Revolution (1956) Indigenization
Industrialization Intelligentsia KAL flight 007 Katyn Forest massacre Karakum Canal KGB Khrushchev’s Secret
Speech Komosol Kremlin Kulaks Marxism Memorial Society Mensheviks Molotov-Rippentrop Pact
Mujahidin New Economic Policy NKVD Nomenklatura October Revolution Oligarchs Perestroika
Personality cult Petrograd Soviet Pioneer Organization Pogroms Politburo Pravda Proletariat (and dictatorship of) Propaganda The Protocols of the Elders of Zion Purge The Great Purge Red Army Red Terror Rehabilitation RSFSR Russian Orthodox Russian Revolution Russification Samizdat Scissors Crisis September coup (1993)
Serf Siberia Solidarity Sputnik Stalingrad Supreme Soviet Tartars Soviet Thaw Totalitarianism Twentieth Party Congress (1956) U.S.S.R Volga Volga Germans Warsaw Pact Warsaw Uprising White Russians (Army) Zionism
- Students from Grade 9 through Grade 12 are welcome to participate in this year's social studies competition. If you take the time to prepare and would like to compete, please send me an email from your school Gmail account. I will invite you to access additional review content located on our school's Google Drive. If you review the slides that I have before reading the book and trying to teach yourself, you'll find the book makes much more since and will be much more interesting. If you would rather study on your own and then later decide to view my slides, that's fine too. Just send me your Gmail account address and I'll be glad to give you permission to view material that I've put together to help you further understand about the Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union.
- Our first Practice Test will be held the week following Thanksgiving Break. If you would like to be considered as an FHS Social Studies Competitor, please drop by my room (Room 218) before or after school during any morning during the week of November 27th to take the practice test. Due to the extremely interesting content this year, I anticipate fielding a Varsity and Junior Varsity Team this year.
- Our first official meet is usually at Poth on the third or fourth Friday of January. We normally have 2-3 additional official practice academic meets during the months of February and March. Once we finalize this year's practice meets, I'll post the dates and locations on this page. Our District Meet will be at McCollum High School on Saturday, March 24th. The Regional Meet will be held at the University of Texas, San Antonio either the first or second Saturday in April.
- Should you have any questions, please drop by my room (Room 218) or send me an email: email@example.com
- Mr. LeBouff